Saturday, February 22, 2020

This Day in Music History: Styx/Kilroy Was Here (02/22)


On this date in 1983, Styx basically destroyed their career with the release of Kilroy Was Here (covered in more detail here: Side One, Side Two) Yeah, you know THAT one. The one that brought us this:


Styx and Yes have always gone back and forth as being my favorite band. It was hard for me to recover from this album though, which had a tour that was a financial disaster. I mean they had reached their pinnacle to me just two years before with Paradise Theater. When I got this album (I still have it in my collection) I was just utterly confused. It just didn't sound like Styx and quite frankly it was embarrassing to me. Side Two is actually decent to me, but the band has never been the same ever since.
No, please. Let it end.


********************************************************************************

2 comments:

  1. What? Are you crazy, this album and tour are awesome. I think the way the concept for the album and the concert are inter-woven was an awesome idea. Some of my favorite songs are on this album, Heavy Metal Poisoning,Double Life, High Time, Cold War, ect.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you compare this album to their other albums, yeah, it doesn't rate as well. But, just as it is, it isn't that bad. Compared to other albums in the 80s, it is pretty good. There are some good songs on it. Even Mr. Roboto isn't that bad for an 80s song. I've always said that it isn't that Mr. Roboto is a bad song, it's just shocking that it's Styx doing it.

    ReplyDelete