Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Reasons I think I'm becoming an old cat lady

My current jobless limbo has left me a lot of alone time here at my apartment. Most of the time either the kids are at school or gone for the weekend and I'm here in an empty apartment. Well almost empty...
 
Around this time last year I got a set of kittens for the girls. They had never had pets before that could roam the territory (other than that one goldfish incident). Sure Wendy has had hamsters, but you don't let those run free. In my heart I knew I had to get two kittens, one for each girl so there would be no jealousy. Luckily I found someone that had a pair of abandoned kittens that needed a home. Worked out great. This is them about a year ago.


Now back to my current situation and to the reasons I'm think I'm becoming an old cat lady.
 
As I walk by them I always stop and pet them. If he or she is sleeping I will stop what I'm doing and scratch their head. Or rub their belly with my foot. If one of them is sitting on the counter as I walk by I will stick my hand out so they can do that face rub thing.

They always have to be in the same room I am. The black/white one, Xion (the girls named them from video games) will always curl up on my shoes. The brown one, Roxas, (rolling my eyes, yeah I know) has to be within five feet of my feet.

I tested this theory just the other day. The cats were sound asleep in my room while I was at the computer. I went and sat in the living room and here they came within 10 seconds, flop and back to sleep. So I got back up and sat back at my computer. Yep, followed me again back to their spots and passed out. Back to the living room and out they come again. Like a magnet.

Anyway, now the next reasons are more serious. I talk to them often. As I'm petting Roxas on the head I'm usually saying "hey buddy" or "Who's the fat kitty? You are. You're the fat kitty". Now Xion is the girl and was pretty damaged by the abandonment when I got her so I'm more gentle with her. I greet her with "Hello princess" and "how's my sweetie doing?" When they meow I meow back like an echo. When they call out, I answer. Sad.

The worst part of all is that I constantly take pictures of them. Whether they're sleeping in funny poses or doing awkward cat-like things, I'm quick to grab my phone and snap a pic of it. Now for the most part I have resisted the urge to splatter them all over Instagram/Facebook/Flickr/Tumblr because that would be a sure sign that I have reached the point of no return.




 So that's it. Is there any hope for me? Or is it time for me to give each cat a middle and last name and start serving them Fancy Feast on fine China?

2 comments:

  1. That demon scarred my child for life. Literally. She will be called scar face in school. Ditch the felines or final destination ain't gonna happen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you are my final destination then I wont need cats anyhow

    ReplyDelete