Thursday, November 8, 2018

This Day in Music History: Styx/Man of Miracles (11/08)


On this date in 1974, Styx released their 4th album Man of Miracles. This album is sort of special for me, because it took a long exhausted search to actually find it.




You see, I first became a huge Styx fan back in the early 80's. Paradise Theater did that to me. It was after that I started collecting their back catalog and when I first came upon the re-issues (at Sears of all places) of their early albums on Wooden Nickel Records. I bought them because they were cheap.

I had picked up Styx I, Lady (which was actually Styx II but renamed for their hit song), and Serpent. I thought I had them all, until I found and bought a re-issue of their greatest hits. There were songs on there I didn't recognize and they sure weren't on any of the other albums I had. I deduced correctly that there must be a 4th Wooden Nickel album.

Now back in the day, there wasn't a Google or Hell even an internet to search things out on. Record stores had big music catalog book about the size of 10 phonebooks put together that listed everything by artist. I looked up Styx and there it was: Miracles. Even the title was mysterious. What music was on there? What was I missing out on? It would take me about 15 years to find out.

No matter what record store or flea market or music place I checked out, I could never find this album. I would have settled for a cassette tape even, but I never found that either. Until...

I was shopping again at some music store when I did my routine quick glance at the Styx cassettes and one was different. I pull it out to see a double cassette with Serpent on one side and... MIRACLES on the back! Finally! I finally was able to complete my collection.




Track List
1) Rock & Roll Feeling
2) Having a Ball
3) Golden Lark
4) A Song for Suzanne
5) A Man Like Me
6) Lies
7) Evil Eyes
8) Southern Woman
9) Christopher, Mr. Christopher
10) Man of Miracles

Some versions of this album have "Best Thing" from Styx I as song #6 instead of "Lies". And even other versions have "Unfinished Song", which is a little gem of a song.

Years later they released all four Wooden Nickel albums re-mastered in a CD set which was a nice touch. Also, thanks to eBay, I was able to find the original and 1980 re-issue albums to complete my record collection. So if you have ever been to my apartment and seen this is on one of my walls, now you know why.




I have covered this album in more depth here (Side One) and here (Side Two)

No comments:

Post a Comment