Wednesday, November 7, 2018

This Day in Music History: Yes/90125 (11/07)

On this day in 1983, Yes released their 11th album, 90125. And the world went crazy.



This was a new Yes. A hip Yes. A popular Yes mostly thanks to solo artist Trevor Rabin who replaced Steve Howe. Gone were the 20 minute prog pieces with multiple sections. The new music was catchy, contemporary and well liked by reviewers and their new fans (many of whom had little clue of the band's previous incarnation). 

The lead single, "Owner of a Lonely Heart," became the band's first (and only) US #1 hit, driving 90125 to the Top 5 and helping it sell three million units in the US alone, by far Yes's most successful album. "It Can Happen", "Changes", and "Leave It" all charted during 1984 and received heavy airplay. 

Yes was popular (again) like they never had been before. In addition, "Cinema" won the Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental Performance in 1985.


I have previously covered this album in more depth here (Side 1), and here (Side 2).



********************************************************************************

1 comment:

  1. I remember when it was released. I was SO happy and glad "Drama" wasn't the final Yes album. I really liked it but it just wasn't _Yes_ without Jon Anderson on vocals and either Wakeman or Kaye on the keyboard(s). It would be like somebody other than Squire on bass! But "90125" was fresh and new with a very different feel that was of the current time. That tour was actually my first Yes show. I was more into "Big Generator" because it had more of the old-school feel but tracks like "Hearts", "It Can Happen", and to an extent "Cinema" on "90125" had enough old school short-track feel that even Rabin couldn't totally wash it out. On "Big Generator" my favorites are "Shoot High, Aim Low", "Final Eyes", and "Holy Lamb".

    Off-topic but amusing is during the "Union" tour my friends and I went to the show and then came back to my place to watch the very same show again (Shoreline Ampitheater, Mountain View) on some funky VHF pay-TV service (because cable wasn't available in my area). It was a unique experience...

    ReplyDelete