Monday, March 12, 2018

Music Monday (Styx/Equinox, Side One)

So at this point, Styx had just left Wooden Nickel Records and signed with A&M. From here on out is most of the music the casual fan knows, with the four previous albums being completely forgotten. Well with one exception: the single "Lady".

In March of 1975, "Lady" peaked at #6 on the charts. In December of that same year, Styx released their first album on the A&M label, Equinox.



Fantastic album cover and one of my Top 10 favorites by the band. As for the music, all I have to say is "hello synthesizers!" I also feel that the structure of the album closely resembles Styx II. I'll explain that as I go.

********************************************************************************


1) Light Up - Yeah it means exactly what you think it means. Fun song to start the album (ahem, "You Need Love"), but for the first time the first track isn't sung by James Young but by Dennis DeYoung. Funny thing about this fan favorite is that it is suddenly being added to the set list now. As in 2015, some 40 years (whuh?) after being released.

As explained by JY:

" 'Light Up' was not part of our set for the longest time, for a variety of reasons. But with the legalization of marijuana in Colorado, it seemed sort of appropriate again, and timely, and we always look for tracks we can resurrect that are good to play live. And 'Light Up' is a song of celebration and it's a fan song people can participate in, and the crowds really responded to us. It succeeded mightily on stage last year." 

Yeah, cool.

Light up everybody
Join us in this celebration
Light up and be happy
Sweet, sweet sounds will fill the air

Every day's a holiday when your lips meet mine
The music's keepin' time with our love
You are here, and so am I
The weather's quite divine
So pass me round your wine, lovely one

All I need is just one hit to get me by
'Cause baby when your near I'm halfway high

Light up, everybody
Join us in this celebration
Light up and be happy
Sweet, sweet sounds will fill the air

********************************************************************************


2) Lorelei - Yeah, wow. I don't know if I can say enough about this song. It was the band's second Top 100 single (ahem, "Lady") which peaked at #27 on the charts. It was also sung by DDY. Remember that part I said about synthesizers? I think it's what turned this band from being good to being great.

I named my youngest daughter Lorelei after this song.

James Young tells the story behind “Lorelei,” just in case you've ever wondered who she is: “Lorelei’s not really based on any particular person. Dennis and I had actually come up with a hook for a different song that was ‘live our lives together,’ with the same melody line and moving parts as ‘Lorelei.’ But the rest of the song really wasn’t up to par to get on one of our first four albums, so when it came time to do our first record for A&M, we sort of restructured it and changed the hook to ‘Lorelei, let’s live together’ and made it a bit hipper.”

When I think of Lorelei my head turns all around
As gentle as a butterfly she moves without a sound
I call her on the telephone, she says be there by eight
Tonight's the night she's moving in and I can hardly wait

The way she moves, ooh-ooh
I gotta say
Lorelei let's live together
Brighter than the stars forever
Lorelei let's live together
Brighter than the stars forever

Her eyes become of Paradise, she softly speaks my name
She brightens every lonely night, no one's quite the same
She calls me on the telephone, she says be there by eight
Tonight's the night she's moving in, it's time to celebrate

The way she moves, ooh-ooh
I gotta say
Lorelei let's live together
Brighter than the stars forever
Lorelei let's live together
Brighter than the stars forever

********************************************************************************


3) Mother Dear - This is the longest song on side one and is sung by John Curulewski (ahem, "A Day"). And it's fantastic! It has a great instrumental section of guitars and keyboards in the middle. Do I need to continue with the comparisons?


Lonely feelings in the city

One room flat with crumbling walls

Sirens play a distant melody
Neon shadows paint the halls

In the thirteen months I've spent here
With my manuscript and rhymes
I've paid in cash for foolish pleasures
Mother dear you'd call them crimes

Raise the roof, light the lite
Mother dear I'm returning tonight
Now I see your concern
Mother dear how you taught me to learn

I been a Roman for survival
Showing two sides of my face
I need the comfort of your wisdom
I'm coming home to your embrace

If by chance I pass before you
Don't discount my gratitude
You're responsible for me here
And of course my attitude

Raise the roof, light the lite
Mother dear I'm returning tonight
Now I see your concern
Mother dear how you taught me to learn

Stayin' up half the night
Wonderin' if what I'm doin' is right
Raise the roof, light the lite
Mother dear I'm returning tonight


********************************************************************************


4) Lonely Child - This is basically another DDY love song in the veins of maybe "Evil Eyes" or "Golden Lark". Yeah, I can't really compare this one with "You Better Ask" so my analogy breaks down a little bit here. But still, another good song especially if you prefer DDY singing.


Lonely child you make it easy

You give me love like no one can

You're my heart, you keep me movin'
It seems you always understand
My love, I'm your man

Lonely child you make me happy
You take my fears and set them free
Every night you hold me closer
Like two notes in harmony
Come spend your life with me

Lonely child be my lover
We'll make love in the morning light
Weave your magic spell around me
And come spend your life with me


********************************************************************************

So the first side give us three DDY songs and another great one from JC. All winners, plus a Top 40 single in "Lorelei". Look for the follow up post next week.

********************************************************************************

1 comment:

  1. My parents named me Lorali after this song. My mom changed the spelling but it's pronounced the same way as the song.

    ReplyDelete