Friday, January 15, 2016

Friday and the Random 10 (National Championship Afterglow Edition)

Well things are starting to slow down around here...slightly. It has been a busy time with Christmas and then New Years. Throw in the fact that I am still on cloud nine after Bama won it's 16th championship on Monday, followed two days later by my birthday it is a wonder I even have time to work on my blog. Some changes are in store for sure, and I have already "tested" a few of them. More on that later. For now, on to the music:



********************************************************************************

Exile Island gets to start on a clean slate for 2016. This may or may not actually continue going forward. I will debate on that. And as usual, the rules and whatnot are up there ↑ at the top near the home tab.



********************************************************************************

Roll Tide!


1) Van Halen/Dirty Movies (Fair Warning) - From the David Lee Roth years. I never really paid any attention to this band until 1984 hit in my high school years.

2) Billy Joel/All About Soul (River of Dreams) - I guess I hit a time when I just didn't care about Mr William Joel anymore.

3) Xandria/Euphoria (Neverworld's End) - Okay this is one of those bands I took a chance on because I saw one cool video from them. Other than that? Meh. Maybe I am hard to please.

4) The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Hooked on Romance (Hooked on Classics) - This was actually a "thing" back in the 80's. People would put together various medleys and call them "hooked on ____ ". These were the originals though, and first to show me how great classical music is.

5) Billy Joel/The Mexican Connection (Streetlife Serenade) - Wow, five songs in and someone gets banned. Rather ominous beginning for this year.

6) Lynyrd Skynyrd/Gifted Hands (Gods & Guns) - Some of the newer stuff from them that I really haven't gotten in to yet. Man, this totally sounds like Casting Crowns.

7) U2/Discotheque (Best of 1990-2000) - I remembered when I actually cared about this band. Worst 15 minutes of my life. No idea what they evolved into. Double meh.

8) Thomas Dolby/Quantum Mechanic (The Gate to the Mind's Eye) - After being weird and quirky back in the awesome 80's, he actually did some really cool electronic stuff like this.

9) Lynyrd Skynyrd/Wino (First and Last) - Interesting story about this album. It was supposed to be their first album but was shelved. It was released after that terrible plane crash and became their last with the original lineups. Hence the name. Yes I used the word "hence". And yeah, they get banned too.

10) Esquire/Coming Home (Coming Home) - This was the band of the late (sniff) Chris Squire's ex wife. Great voice but she really, really, really, like really oversings most of the time.

********************************************************************************


The STCS for this week goes to Prince/When Does Cry (Purple Rain). I am totally sure they would dig his guitar work. As far as Exile Island goes Billy Joel and Lynyrd Skynyrd got added to start the year off badly. Triple meh.

********************************************************************************

Audio/podcast version!


Listen to me ramble on like a bad DJ and actually hear the songs in the countdown:



********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment