Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday and the Random 10 (Work in Progress Edition)

If you tuned in last week you may have noticed down at the bottom I added an actual podcast. I encountered a few problems with the music from YouTube, but hopefully I have most of that sorted out. Don't judge me too hard, it was a first attempt and definitely still a work in progress. Oh well, here we go again. Second verse, same as the first:



********************************************************************************

The last countdown wasted no time in sending someone to Exile Island. Billy Joel and Lynyrd Skynyrd showed up twice so they got the ban for this week. Maybe we won't have to wait so long for the Tarkus to arrive this year. It took quite awhile in 2015. And as usual, the rules and whatnot are up there ↑ at the top near the home tab.




********************************************************************************

Play On!


1) Rush/Mystic Rhythms (Power Windows) - Man, Rush in the 80's was something special. Maybe it had to do with my high school years again.

2) Duran Duran/Hungry Like the Wolf (Greatest) - Speaking of the 80's, these guys basically ruled them.

3) Dream Theater/The Killing Hand (When Dream and Day Reunite) - My brother Scott still wants me to get into this band. I have tried, but to no avail. I guess I just don't like my prog "metally". Great musicianship though.

4) Rick Wakeman/The Box (Crimes of Passion) - And here we go! Actually in all fairness to RW this was actually done as a soundtrack to a movie of the same name. I will ease up on the criticism this time.

5) Meshuggah/Suffer in Truth (Destroy Erase Improve) - Right now you must be wondering, ummm what? This is one of those bands that I try out when I see one of those top prog lists or 100 greatest prog album things. Way to death metal for me. Surprisingly not the first time in the countdown though.


How Soon We Forget? Umm Skynyrd that was totally last week. Nice try.

6) Daft Punk/High Life (Discovery) - There are times I want people to think I'm somewhat cool. Sometimes I am just grasping at it. This is one of those times.

7) Guns N' Roses/Welcome to the Jungle (Appetite for Destruction) - Forget being cool. I would rather be badass. Nothing like GnR kicking the world in the teeth back in the day.

8) Thomas Dolby/Windpower (Retrospectacle: Best Of) - Wow, back to back weeks for him. I always liked the emo techno feel to his music.

9) Guns N' Roses/Mr. Brownstone (Greatest Hits) - Oh man, rocking hard but Exile Island awaits.

10) Rick Wakeman/The Hanging Gardens of Babylon (The Seven Wonders of the World) - Okay, now I can make fun of him. If there was an idea out there, he did an album about it. Oh, and banned.

********************************************************************************


The STCS for this week goes to Faith No More/Why Do You Bother? (We Care A Lot). Other than their mega album The Real Thing, I am not too familiar with their other stuff. Guess it was just the time period for me. A lot was in flux. As far as Exile Island, Billy Joel gets set free, but Lynyrd Skynyrd got Tarkus'd and sent right back. They will be joined by Guns N' Roses and mayor Rick Wakeman next week. He should totally build a second home there.

********************************************************************************

Audio/podcast version!


Listen to me ramble on like a bad DJ and actually hear the songs in the countdown:




********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment