Thursday, July 5, 2018

1894 Cooke 4-6-0 and 1909 Porter 0-4-0 in Griffin, GA

Ok, now these trains were an adventure to say the least. Before leaving for vacation I had typed out an itinerary to help me find where the trains would be (and because I'm a bit of a nerd). I use the locomotive steam train database to see if anything is near my route. Most of the time they are in parks (#Heritage) or by the chamber of commerce or whatever. Our first stop was a 1906 Baldwin in Macon, GA.

Now these particular trains were supposedly at a museum that was now defunct. What that meant I didn't know. I put the address into Google maps, but it didn't help at all. Just showed me some trees.

Then I hit the aerial view:




That kinda looked like a train in the middle of that field. Channeling my inner Scuttle, it looked like I was going to have to be a little intrepidacious. I had hoped to drive down that road, pull out into the field, snap some pics and leave. But, no:


Well, what's an adventure without a little risk right? Further up that road in the treeline was another gate that I may have jumped to get these pics and video:



********************************************************************************

1909 Porter 0-4-0





1892 Cooke 4-6-0







********************************************************************************

2 comments:

  1. So sad to see them rust away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a dirt road right before that field called Smaok Rd. After you cross over the bridge you see the old train tracks. Thank you for posting these pictures and the info you found on the trains. I have lived in Griffin Ga. most of my adult life and have never seen this p[lace up close.

    Happy Hunting,
    Ami

    ReplyDelete