Saturday, June 18, 2011

Sci-Fi Saturday

Nothing new to report this week, although I'm hoping to get out and see Green Lantern at some point. A new show Falling Skies starts tonite and it looks interesting as well. But until then I'm going to share my criticisms about Torchwood.



I explained last week that I was going through and re-watching the seasons in preparation for the new season coming out in July (on Starz!). Even though it is a Doctor Who spin-off, I wish they would have actually included him in an episode or two. Yeah I know he mentions needing his "doctor" quite a bit but he's never in any story. At most we get the episode when Jack runs off after seeing the hand in the jar light up and hearing what is obviously the Tardis appearing somewhere. The rest of that story takes place in the Doctor Who final episodes of season 3 (which is great stuff!).

Anyway, back to my original thoughts. It's the sexual relationships that kinda get on my nerves a bit. It doesnt bother me in the least that Capt. Jack Harkness is bi-sexual and apparently omni-sexual (?), if thats a word, since he bangs all kinds of aliens too from his never-ending comments. It's just that, percentage wise, there are way too many gay, bi, and lesbian relationships from the characters in the stories. It's what makes Jack stand out and they should leave it that way, but why does 75% of every new character that comes into the story have to have a homosexual tendency or partner? I dont know what percentage of the population goes in that direction (and thats their business) but if 1 in 10 characters were "special" it would feel more balanced. I know they were probably trying to make the show more "edgy" and "erotic" but i think it just went into overkill. Let Jack be Jack, and work on the storylines alot more.

Well thats my take and i'll certainly be writing more in the future when the new show starts. I also plan to include other shows like Sanctuary, The Event, and of course Falling Skies from tonite.

No comments:

Post a Comment