Tuesday, February 18, 2014

You're Welcome for Splash Mountain

Did you ever come across something so unbelievably weird, thinking there's no way it could be possibly true, just to find out it's all connected in ways you never thought imaginable? Yeah, that just happened to me.

So I am playing around with the apps on my tablet and go to my seldom used Flickr. Nothing serious, just looking at pics of steam trains while watching old episodes of Community. So, on a lark, I type in Phenix City, AL (my hometown) into the search just to see some pics of familiar places.

That's when I came across this:


This is a site marker on the PC side of the Chattahoochee River, looking across to the old textile mills in Columbus, GA. When I found a close up of the marker I was stunned. See if it hits you as you read what it says.


The Trickster Rabbit? Wait a minute...Tarbaby? Are you freaking kidding me? Uncle Remus stories?!?

That's right. Uncle Remus. As in Song of the South Uncle Remus. Old Mr. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah himself. That Trickster Rabbit sounds familiar doesn't it? Brer Rabbit! And the Tarbaby too. Well if you have been lucky enough to actually see the movie that is.

So if you follow along the wibbly wobbly timeline, my hometown of Phenix City, AL is basically responsible for Splash Mountain.

Yeah, you're welcome.

********************************************************************************

1 comment: