Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Momento Mori

For the first time I feel time like a heartbeat
The seconds pumping in my breast like a reckoning
The numinous mysteries that once seemed so distant and unreal
Threatening clarity in the presence of a truth
Entertained not in youth,
But only in its passage.
I feel these words as if their meaning were weight being lifted from me
Knowing that you will read them and share my burden
As I have come to trust no other
That you should know my heart,
Look into it finding there the memory and experience that belong to you,
That are you
Is a comfort to me now
As I feel the tethers loose
And the prospects darken for the continuance of a journey
That began not so long ago
And which began again with a faith shaken
And strengthened by your convictions
If not for which I might never have been so strong now
As I cross to face you and look at you incomplete
Hoping that you will forgive me
For not making the rest of the journey with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment