Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sci-Fi Weekend Update

First let's start with TV:

Ok, so I blogged last Saturday about waiting for Falling Skies so I could give it a quick review. Apparently that only works when you choose the correct day that the shows actually come on. It's a Sunday night thing...noted for future use...

So anyway I got around to watching the 2 hour preview and to me it was just okay. I guess, as in most shows, it's what kind of storyline do we get from here on out? The premise is basically alot of civilians in a pseudo militia are traveling with a military unit and there are already some military vs non-military frictions going on. So let me get this straight...aliens have attacked Earth (and have won apparently) and are starting to occupy large cities and the only line of defense for the refugees is the over-matched military...and you know what?...let's be a burden on them and complain when they get the comfy beds to sleep in! That gets a STFU from me because, you know, they're the ones with the big guns and what's the word?...oh yeah...TRAINING.

And while we're on the stupid train, let me add this point. So aliens are killing people and attaching some spinal contraption to the back of kids heads and down their back to use them as zombies... you're running for your life and food is very scarce so what should we do? Oh yeah, let's stop in a field and teach a class in biology where kids have pencils and paper taking notes! I'm all for education but in that situation there's only 1 thing I wanna learn: how do I not die today. Period. That scene was just stupid and pointless.

Not to say the show didn't have some interesting scenarios that I do wanna see how they play out: the zombie spinal tap parasite thingies for one....and the renegade militia bad-ass group who seemed to know a little more than the military in how to fight the aliens. Beyond that I just hope they show me a little more and make it r-e-a-l.

I also got caught up (I think) on Sanctuary. Abnormals rising up from Middle Earth to the surface to start a big fight...yes please! Nice cliffhanger...will be waiting to see what happens next.

Movies: nothing new for me at the theaters but I did re-watch my blue-ray copy of I, Robot. Awesome as always even if it wasn't true to the real story. Which leads me to...


Books: I just finished reading Asimov's Foundation series (all 5 books) so i'm still kinda stuck in a 3 Law robot mode. So now I'm reading Caliban which is from a set of novels about the "Spacer" worlds. This one is about a murder involving an experimental robot that was designed without the 3 laws. Did he do it or not? Honestly I dont remember...reason enough to read it again. I usually re-read some of my favorite books at least once a year or so. Keeps my brain sharp.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment