Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday and the Random 10 (Main Street Edition)

Wait, what? I get paid vacation time? Sounds sketchy to me, but I'll try this thing out keeping a close eye on my paycheck next week. So what should I do with all this freedom? Blog! Yeah, no point in going outside. I mean it's like in the 80's outside and there's bound to be mosquitoes...and tourists. Well I could watch a whole lot of the March madness that's going on. I can't believe I never filled out a single bracket this year. Ugh.

I'll play it safe the first day and knock out some randomness. As usual the rules and whatnot are up there ↑ at the top. Looking back at last week I see no one got banned, but everyone is fair game for an upset.

Let's bust some brackets!


1) Kansas/Windows - This from their 80's CD Vinyl Confessions. Honestly I didn't even remember this song.

2) The Beatles/Magical Mystery Tour - Not everything they did was gold. This and that whole Yellow Submarine period was kind of weird and pointless to me.

3) Bob Seger/Main Street - This song is intensely personal to me. As a young kid working on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom we would sometimes have to set up special events overnight. We would pipe in a local radio station through the sound system and one of our guys who was a part time DJ would give us a shout out on the air and play this for us. Years after I had left the kingdom, every time I heard this song I would "drift back in time and find my feet...down on Main Street..."

4) The Cars/Bye Bye Love - Yeah, welcome to the party pal!


5) The Beatles/Rock and Roll Music - Old school, pre-psychedelic stuff from them, but they still get banned.

6) The Alan Parsons Project/I Wouldn't Want to Be Like You - These guys always have a smooth sound...and that giant moon laser thingy...

7) Enigma/Sunrise - Awesome as always.

8) Enigma/Traces (Light and Weight) - Banned now, but one of my favorites from them. They have that whole water drop percussion thing going on in this one.

9) Jon Anderson/Axis of Love - This is one of those songs that...just...sigh... This one of the demos that was going to be on the ABWH II album that never happened. This song is so good I'm surprised it hasn't been used in any other JA or Yes related projects. Maybe one day...

10) Chicago/Hanky Panky - You know, back when they were good.

As I was writing this up, Mercer beat Duke so consider your brackets completely busted if they haven't been already. Yeah, there goes my billion dollars. The Beatles and Enigma both get banned for next week. The STCS for this week is ELO/Fire on High. Always makes me think of the Doctor Who episode with the ELO fans. Awesome.

As always stay cool central Florida (it's heating up) and Roll Tide!

Like there was any doubt who's playing us out.

No comments:

Post a Comment