Saturday, August 3, 2013

My Favorite Episodes of TV Shows (The Funny Ones)

I have noticed that my all time favorite episodes of TV shows basically fall into two categories: hilariously funny or bittersweet/emotional. This post just covers the ones that crack me up. I will write a follow up post for the more serious episodes later. Also, this is just a partial list that I'm sure will be added to over time.


Friends/The One with the Holiday Armadillo

I can't explain how much this episode brings me to tears from laughing so hard. The main gist is that Ross wants to teach his son about Hanukkah, but is too late to rent a Santa costume. He ends up taking whatever costume is left and turns it into the "Holiday Armadillo", Santa's part Jewish helper. Once Chandler and Joey show up in costumes (Santa and Superman respectively) to help out, it just gets insane. Watch:



Lines that make me lose it:

Chandler: What are you doing here...weird...turtle...man?

Chandler: My favorite part was when Superman flew all the Jews out of Egypt.


The IT Crowd/The Work Outing

If you haven't watched any of this British show, do it immediately! It's about two nerds (Moss and Roy) in an IT department. They get a new department head (Jen) who they discover knows nothing about computers. Since she is a "people person", she decides to become their "relationship manager" instead because the guys are so socially awkward.

This episode is about Jen being invited to the theater by a guy both Moss and Roy think is gay. The boys invite themselves to the musical, which turns Jen's possible "date" to a "work outing". When they get to the theater, this is what they discover they're about to watch:


Roy: It's a gay musical called Gay. Thats quite gayGay musical...Aren't all musicals gay? This must be, like, the gayest musical ever made.

There is just so much here. At the intermission, Roy refuses to go back in for the second half. The guys then go to the bathroom but don't actually do anything because they have a "toilet guy" that just stares at them and makes them uncomfortable. Roy chooses to use a toilet for the disabled and instead of pulling the cord to flush, he pulls the "emergency" cord. Now he has to pretend being disabled for the rest of the episode and that someone stole his wheelchair. Moss uses a staff toilet and is caught, but plays it off like he works there so they put him to work at the bar. It all comes to a head when Jen encounters them both at the after party:



Best lines:

Jen Barber: A story of a young man trying to find his sexuality in the uncaring Thatcher years. Warning: Contains scenes of graphic homo-eroticism.
Moss: Oh no! It's set in the 80's!
Roy: Graphic homo-eroticism? Does that mean they're going to get them out?
Jen: You're not comfortable with your sexuality?
Roy: Oh, I'm very comfortable with my sexuality, I just don't want to be slapped in the face with their sexuality.


Big Bang Theory/The Adhesive Duck Deficiency

Can you believe this is a show I didn't even start watching until last year? There are many great episodes, but this one just sticks out. There are two story lines going on in the episode: 1) Leonard, Raj and Howard are camping out for a meteor shower when they get hold of some "special" cookies. Here is an edit of all those scenes:


And 2) Penny falls in the shower and needs Sheldon's help. First she needs him to help dress her:



And then he drives her to and from the hospital. I love the ending where she compares him to Wall-E and makes him sing.


Oh those lines!

Leonard: I hate my name. It has 'nerd' in it. 'Len. Nerd.'

Penny: You know people think you are this weird robot man who's so annoying all the time and you totally are. But then it's like that movie Wall-E at the end. You're so full of love and you can save a plant and get fat people out of their floaty chairs.

Penny: You gotta help me get my arm into my sleeve.
Sheldon: (Eyes closed) Okay!
Penny: Is that my arm?
Sheldon: It doesn't feel like an arm.
Penny: Then maybe you should let it go.

Sheldon: We have to fill these out. "Describe illness or injury."
Penny: I dislocated my shoulder.
Sheldon: All right. And how did the accident occur?
Penny: You already know that.
Sheldon: Cause of accident: Lack of adhesive ducks. Okay, medical history. Have you ever been diagnosed with diabetes?
Penny: No.
Sheldon: Kidney disease?
Penny: No.
Sheldon: Migraines?
Penny: Getting one.
Sheldon: Are you currently pregnant?
Penny: No!
Sheldon: Are you sure? You look a bit puffy.
Penny: Change migraine to "yes."
Sheldon: When was your last menstrual period?
Penny: [in a disgusted tone] Oh, next question.
Sheldon: I'll put "in progress." Okay, turning to psychiatric disorders, list all major behavioral diagnoses, e.g. depression, anxiety etc.
Penny: Oh my God! What the hell does this have to do with my stupid shoulder?
Sheldon: Episodes of sub-psychotic rage.
Penny: Ass!
Sheldon: Possible Tourette's. All right, "moles, lesions, or other skin conditions." Soup tattoo on right buttock.

No comments:

Post a Comment