Monday, March 26, 2018

Music Monday (Styx/Equinox, Side Two)

After taking a look at the first side last week, it is now time to dive into the flip side of Equinox by Styx.




As with side one, I also feel that side two closely resembles Styx II, albeit in a slightly different order.

********************************************************************************


5) Midnight Ride - JY gets to let loose on a wild rocker here. It's also his only song on the album and he holds nothing back. This is the "I'm Gonna Make You Feel It" of the album.

Gonna get you while you sleep
Give you a dream you can keep
To yourself little mama gonna make you feel better

I'm your mystery man in a gold Lincoln
Ain't no reason to do any second thinkin'
About it child

Midnight ride I'm gonna shake ya
Midnight ride I'm gonna break ya
Midnight ride I'm gonna take you on a
Midnight ride

Meet you little girl back at my hotel
Between you and me we're really gonna give 'em hell
I got something mighty special up my sleeve
All you got to do is just say please

Midnight ride I'm gonna shake ya
Midnight ride I'm gonna break ya
Midnight ride I'm gonna take you on a
Midnight ride

********************************************************************************


6) Born for Adventure - I never really cared for this song all that much. The first two songs on this side are mostly forgettable to me. To keep with my comparisons this is kinda like "Earl of Roseland". Meh.

I am the thief of the highway
Rich man you better take hold
'Cause last night while you lie sleeping
I came to steal all your gold

All the King's horses, All the King's men
Surrounded the chapel To trap me within
A Lady in waiting, Lips red with rouge
She offered me pleasures I could not refuse
No, no, no

For I was born
Born for adventure
Women whisky and sin
No I'll never surrender
Live by the sword till the end

All the King's horses, All the King's men
Were drinking and dancing at Fezewig's Inn
They spoke of my capture and of my escape
They called it misfortune but I called it fate
No, no, no

For I was born
Born for adventure
Women whisky and sin
No I'll never surrender
Live by the sword till the end

********************************************************************************


7) Prelude 12/Suite Madame Blue - I am glad I found a video with both of them together because that is how I always think of it (like "Little Fugue in G/Father O.S.A."). The intro is JC doing an instrumental piece on acoustic guitar. The rest is just an epic rock anthem. "Suite Madame Blue"  is played regularly at both Styx concerts and lead singer Dennis DeYoung's solo concerts today (I saw DDY sing it at Epcot earlier this year). The song was written in 1975, a year before the Bicentennial. Because of this, many people believe this song to be celebrating America. The truth, however, is that the track was a protest song, sung from the point of view of a man who clearly loves America, but knows the country is far from perfect and needs improvement. It is a metaphor for the United States, but many lyrics are actually metaphors for political controversies of the 1960's and 1970's, such as Watergate and the War in Vietnam. The lyric "So lift up your heart, make a new start, and lead us away from here" is an allusion to the need for change in the United States. Oh, and JY totally shreds on this one.

Time after time I sit and I wait for your call
I know I'm a fool but why can I say
Whatever the price I'll pay for you, Madame Blue
Once long ago, a word from your lips and the world turned around
But somehow you've changed, you're so far away
I long for the past and dream of the days with you, Madame Blue

Suite Madame Blue, gaze in your looking glass
You're not a child anymore
Suite Madame Blue, the future is all but past
Dressed in your jewels, you made your own rules
You conquered the world and more ..............heaven's door

America....America...America..America..
America....America...America..America..
America....America...America..America..

Red white and blue, gaze in your looking glass
You're not a child anymore
Red, white, and blue, the future is all but past
So lift up your heart, make a new start
And lead us away from here

********************************************************************************

Equinox only reached #58 on the album charts, and had one hit single ("Lorelei", #27), but it eventually achieved gold status as Styx's popularity exploded into the 70's. Oh, and as soon as it was released, John Curulewski left the band. Wait, what? Yeah. To be continued...

********************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment