Friday, January 2, 2015

Friday and the Random 10 (Life Hangover Edition)

You know what? Blah. That's how many of us at work feel.We finally made it through the holidays and we are all basically not cast members at Disney, but cast members of the Walking Dead. So many of us are sick from working extended hours, and the rest of us are just plain worn out. Add into that the actual holidays themselves, plus what transpired in the Sugar Bowl last night (and 2014 in general) and I just have a hangover from life, no alcohol needed.

Nothing to do but plow ahead for the very first Random 10 for 2015. Last week was an all 2014 edition, so this one starts off completely fresh. 


Highlights from last week.


As always the rules and whatnot are up there ↑ at the top next to the Home tab.

********************************************************************************

Here we are trying to mend all the broken hearts
In a world where the pain is the fear
Ain't no doubt there's a method to madness here
Set your clock to the start of a brand new year

Yes/Face to Face

********************************************************************************

1) Return to Forever/Beyond the Seventh Galaxy - Here is some more of the early 1970's experimental jazz fusion stuff. Some music holds up through the years. This just sounds dated. I'm not sure how much longer this stuff will stay in my inventory.



2) Jackson Browne/The Load-Out - This has always sounded like the saddest song to me. Or maybe I should say loneliest. Exhausting life on the road.





3) Jimmy Buffett/Cheeseburger in Paradise - I cringe every time Jimmy shows up because I recall one time where there was a glitch in media player and he showed up like six times.





4) Def Leppard/Rock Brigade - Now this is some very old school music from them before they hit it huge. Actually this is from their debut album. Still good stuff.





5) Evanescence/The Other Side - This is some of the more modern music I have been trying to add to my playlist. I love prog bands/music with female singers for some reason. Dunno why. You can always rope me in with a cool album cover too. I'm easy that way.



6) Rick Wakeman/St. Michael's Isle - RW! He hasn't shown up for awhile. I'm not sure I am more surprised at that, or that Viggle actually recognized this piece of music, which is an instrumental on piano of course. Magic. And oh look! An album about an island. He gets inspiration from anywhere.



7) Apollo 440/For Forty Days - I first found these guys when they did the soundtrack song to Lost in Space. Their funky, electric music is a family favorite here in the Blocker house. My girls dig it.




8) Bryan Adams/Summer of '69 - Some new, classic stuff I recently added to my ever evolving collection of music. He didn't do much after the 80's (lol, but who did?).



9) Led Zeppelin/Tangerine - You know, and I am going to probably catch a lot of flack for this, but I never really cared for Zeppelin all that much. I mean there's some good stuff there for sure, but there just seems to be too much random noise for me.




10) God is an Astronaut/Twilight - Here is another one of those new "post rock" bands I had referred to in the last countdown. Mostly rock instrumentals with a space age, scifi feel to them.


********************************************************************************

Well there we have it. I am obviously trying a new format with the countdown and if it stays this way then it might be the end of the album cover winner. However, the formatting is difficult at times and the whole thing is much more time consuming than before so I dunno. I was also concerned about how the "Welcome to the Party Pal" part would fit in, as well as any future "Tarkus" moments.

The STCS for this week is Kansas/Three Pretenders. Cool song from a fantastic album "Power". Highly recommended. I also noticed that no one gets sent to Exile Island next week so there is another positive.



********************************************************************************

As always stay warm and comfy wherever you are, and Roll Tide anyway (dammit).

Play us out Bryan!


Those were the best days of my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment