Thursday, March 28, 2013

Disney, Unions, and Decisions

Well most people know (or think they do) the situation I'm in fighting to get my job back. If you need a refresher, you can go here. Now I've been sitting at home waiting for over two weeks for a reply from my grievance meeting between Disney and me and my union reps. So late Friday the 15th (and I mean like 5:30 pm) I finally get a call with the details of what was "offered".

  • Reinstatement into a "non-safety" related position (i.e. custodial/merchandise/etc.)
  • Retain my seniority date
  • 2 point safety reprimand for "poor decision making"
  • No back pay
  • Inability to transfer to any department for 1 year

Now obviously this is a low-ball offer, which I thought about for about 10 seconds before rejecting. All I want is to go back to work in my own department. There's no reason I should have to transfer for something I still claim I didn't do. Many people in our area have gotten safety reprimands but I don't see them transferred out. The union rep basically said someone at Main Street doesn't want me back in the department. I also think they waited until late Friday to send that offer hoping I was desperate and would take it. I have my principles.

So what I "offered" in return was:
  • 1 point safety reprimand (I had to give them "something")
  • Give up my coordinator status
  • Remain in the same area with the ability to transfer where I want.
  • 1/2 back pay. I mean really I should never have been terminated in the first place.
So that was sent back to them. From what I understand we will do an offer/counteroffer thing or it will go to a Level 4, which is basically another meeting. More waiting...

*******************************************************************************
And now it's been almost four weeks with no reply. I have been out of work for over four months (and right before Christmas I might add). Yeah, this is how Disney treats people.