Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Running from Princesses




This has become such a popular story among my friends (to the point where I get teased endlessly), that I just had to share with everyone who hasn't heard the full version yet.

Back-story: Being the awesome guy that I am (cough) and being seemingly so popular with the ladies (double cough), it might surprise most of you that I am completely clueless when it comes to women. Even 14 years of marriage didn't help me in the least little bit. I don't know what they're thinking, what they're feeling, and especially if they have any interest in me.

With that in mind, let me set the scene. A not so young man, body glistening with sweat from fire and steam, gets in line at a popular French bistro. Okay, it was Subway down in the Mouseketeria (the cast member cafeteria under the Magic Kingdom). Suddenly a voice beside him beckons...

Voice: Hi, are you a runner?

Me: Ummm, only when chased (I was caught off guard and tried to appear "charming" with comedy).

Voice: Oh, you look like a runner. I work alot of the marathons and you're built like a runner. Do you ever do any of the marathons?

Me: No I never have. I used to go walking alot but I haven't done much running since I played baseball in college. (trying to recover with the athlete angle)

Voice: Oh...

Note: this conversation is taking place while we are ordering our sandwiches.

Voice: Oh that's a very healthy sandwich there. I need to try that sometime.

Me: Yeah I like it. It's my usual.

Voice: Oh I usually get one of the specials. <receives her order> Well it was nice talking to you. Have a nice day.

Me: You too.

Now at this point I am very confused at the conversation I just had from out of the blue. I walk in a daze back to the bombshelter (the trains breakroom) and sit down with my food. Alot of the "gang" was in there so I had to tell them all that had just occurred.

Then I ask the simple question: Was I being flirted with?

Everyone in unison: yes. And not just a yes, but a Hallelujah chorus YES!!!!!! Even the females are going "Damn Von, how much clearer did she need to be?"

I reflect in silence for a few moments and reply "son of a bitch!"

It was Snow White who had been talking to me. I will very likely never have that opportunity again, and it stings. Oh yes, it stings...


P.S. And do not forget to recommend this blog continues.

3 comments:

  1. What. A. Fail.
    I love your words of wisdom there at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do what I can to help. Maybe others can learn from my cluelessness.

    ReplyDelete